Friday, May 15, 2009

Enjoying the Dog Days of Summer in Rune Factory Frontier

Here's a wonderful game journal about Summer in the first year of Rune Factory Frontier by Mars the Frog:

I told myself that I'd spend the last five days of summer in RFF trying to clear my field, after suffering two hurricanes, severe crop loss, and having 60% of my field covered in stumps and rocks... This was the plan that would prepare me for Fall! ... And I totally blew it.


The boat race came up and I decided to have a little fun. I talked with peeps and had one of my monsters follow me around. When I got to the lake, Erik said he spent a day training for this event. I immediately marked him as my primary rival. Anette was there too, acting cute and innocent. When I went to get on the boat, Turner suddenly showed up (drunk as usual), offering to go with me so I wouldn't be alone (but I'm not alone... I've got a giant mushroom with me!). His wife dragged his drunken butt away and I set out to get all the balloons. 235 points! Oh yeah, I was feeling good about that. Come the announcements, Erik scored a laughable (and I really did laugh) 61 points. But lo and behold... Anette got... 326!? ...... Almost 100 more than me... and I hardly missed any... using the boost almost constantly... Seriously, what does she eat that makes her go 300 mph every day? She's like a roadrunner... on steroids... which can paddle boats... Anyway, for my troubles I got a mask, which is better than any other gear I had... so, eh... not a TOTAL loss...


Moving along, after talking with people again and having my defeat rubbed in my face by ALL of them... I decided to go to Whale Island (where no one can see me sulk!) As I went towards Iris' pad some guy showed up. I think he's deaf, because he completely ignored me... either that or he's just a jerk. Anyway, he did a terrible thing - he unlocked the gate... which means a new area... which means... EXPLORING! So indeed I went exploring... and I made a new short cut... crossed some pools of poison, and then got my butt kicked by this awesome golem thing... I really need to get me one of those...


The next day I started working, then checked on the runeys... and they were a mess as usual. So I spent all day keeping them from utterly destroying each other... and then I went back to new area in Whale Island... and got killed again. Whoo-hoo!


On the day of the Pumpkin Festival, I ran around talking with everyone. Kross was totally embarrassed, Mist was wearing a turnip (nothing unusual there...), and Stella was dying from heat exhaustion but kept a good attitude. Then it hit me... MY FIELD IS STILL A MESS! (insert swearing). And tomorrow is the first day of fall! CRAP! There was only one thing to do now... go back to Whale Island and get my butt kicked again! Though, honestly I thought there was something I was forgetting... oh, wait...


And behold! The first day of Fall! With me at 50% of my strength after another not-so refreshing night at the clinic. And it's raining! Gee, this would be the perfect day to plant seeds... except I don't have any! And it's a holiday... and oh, my field... gee it sure looks messy...


I think it's going to be a long Fall...

N.B. From Freyashawk: You can prevent severe storms if you ask for a Sunny Week Rune Wonder from Anette. You can buy seeds for EVERY season from Erik and Rosetta AND you can plant seeds for the NEXT season on the last day of the season... so he could have purchased and planted his Autumn Seeds on 30 Summer... but that wouldn't have made a good story, would it? Knowing Mars, I bet this is nothing more than FICTION. His field probably is 100% tilled and planted for the season...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha... I wish that was the real case, but uh... no, it's all true. I couldn't help myself and just HAD to explore the rest of whale island after Gelwein opened it (which is why it was "horrible"). And I completely forgot about my field... partly because I kept waking up in the clinic instead of my house. ^_^; My field wasn't fixed until late fall.

Heh, you'd think a guy like me would be a little more... "professional" after playing dozens of HM games, but uh, nah... I've always been a bonehead. :) But hey, I still had fun! Before Fall anyway...

I didn't think of trying to wish for Sunny days, but then I didn't want to spend the runeys for many wishes either, cuz sometimes I don't have enough of one type (usually grass or rock). Grass runeys act so... emo... just randomly kill themselves...